Thursday, February 7, 2008
Downtown Dakar
Today was intense. We had the “drop off” where we had to take taxis in groups of three to designated parts of the city and walk around for several hours. There was a sheet of questions we had to answer, but it was mainly to get used to shopping and wandering around in a new city. There were tons of people, especially people selling stuff. We had to get a gift for a random person in the group. I tried my skills at haggling and got a necklace for half the price she said originally. I was pretty proud of myself for my first time at it. Oh, and our taxi on our way to our destination got pulled over for some unknown reason and we witnessed a bribe so that the driver could get his license back. Apparently that happens sometimes. It was pretty hilarious. Tomorrow we have our first real day of classes and after that I move in with my host family! I’m looking forward to it a lot. Walking around in the sun all day got us all exhausted, but I think we learned a little about Senegalese culture and practical stuff for getting around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh look at my big girl! Just don't accidentally end up haggling away your kidneys or something. I hope your homestay family is wonderful and that you have all sorts of crazy fun on your first day of class. I still can't believe that you're in Africa. You're a wild woman! I heart you and I'll talk to you again soon!
~Jess
i am so pumped you are loving it! it really sounds as if it is all a chance of a lifetime and i am proud that you are taking it all in!
love!
-Annie
Post a Comment