So here's the reason I haven't posted in several days: my computer bit the dust. I think it may have been zapped by the difference in voltage or whatever, even though it should have been safe. Long story... anyway great things have been happening in the meantime. I've settled in with my host family and things are going pretty well there. Like most Senegalese families they watch a ridiculous amount of TV (especially music videos and soap operas), so there isn't a lot of social obligation during that time. We all just kind of chill together. They're really nice and helping me with French and Wolof. We're getting into the swing of things with classes and I'm enjoying them. Especially the language classes. Sometimes I have class in the gazebo behind the school (I uploaded a photo of it), and that's pretty great. I love having class with bird chatter in the background. I'm having to get used to the Field Study Seminar class (an anthropology type thing), because I'm not really into that kind of formal observation stuff I guess. I've started taking the bus sometimes to and/or from school, which leaves me more money to buy fun stuff (bus is about a tenth of the price of a taxi). My host mother plans to teach me to cook some Senegalese meals, which I'm pretty pumped about, and I'm thinking I'm going to do some serious market shopping this weekend to get cloth to have clothes made and fun bead jewelry. Since it's the dry season there's some wind and a lot of dust and sand going on. That, combined with the car pollution has been somewhat rough on the throat, but the weather is generally perfect. I've uploaded some more pictures with captions to come later. I miss you all, and it's been great to here from you!
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment