Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Land of Teranga

Asalaamaalekum! That's Wolof for "Peace be with you" or hello. That's right, I'm learning Wolof and I'm totally pumped about it. I'm finally feeling like a real person and not a zombie today. I finally got my bags last night, and I've never been so happy to see my stuff. We visited the school for the first time today. It's really beautiful and in a nice neighborhood. You can tell it's a better off neighborhood than that of the hotel. There are more businesses, schools, better condition buildings. We had to do an activity where the profs gave us an everyday object and we had to go out and ask people what it was. I was freaked about it, but people were unbelievably friendly. They had no problem pausing to tell us that the strange green powder and clump of straw stuff were henna and a Senegalese loofa. They truly demonstrated the Senegalese value of Teranga or hospitality. I meet my homestay family tomorrow and move in on Friday I think. People are breathing down my neck for the ethernet cord in the lobby because the wireless just doesn't work in the hotel. I've uploaded some pictures. Check them out! Link is this way---->

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Katie
To cold for turnouts(-6), so thought I'd try sending you a note. Love reading about your adventures, keep posting! ( that is an odd use of the posting!)
Colleen