I both sang and danced today. I don't do that. Like, ever. That's how great this trip is for me. I'm pushing limits and going with the flow. Go me. The singing happened because we had a guy come in who's a music teacher and mixes traditional and modern instruments and music. He also teaches kids about making instruments out of recycled stuff and teaches them about being nice to the environment. He's freakin' awesome. I might work with him for my Independent Study Project (ISP), which I'm thinking about doing on Arts, Culture, and Environmental Development. That's really broad at the moment, and I'll work on making it more specific, but talking about that guy as well as Leopold Senghor and Martha Nussbaum would be RAD. This afternoon we went to the Village des Arts and got a djembe lesson and dancing lesson. I also met the little guy in that picture up there. Wanted to take him home sooooo badly. Oy, I'm such a female.
This weekend was pretty good, although speaking so much French is exhausting. We went to the jazz club Just 4 U and heard Orchestre Baobab, which was a lot of fun. The Senegalese like late nights on weekends though! The music didn't start until about midnight and didn't end until three. Totally worth the exhaustion though. On Sunday I bought two fabrics, and plan to send one to the tailor this week to have a dress made. It'll be great. I'm super sweaty and tired so it's definitely time to stink up the bus and take a shower at home. I'm a gonna sleep well tonight and be ready for another day of dancing and drumming.
No comments:
Post a Comment