Link: NY Times Article
Click on the above link to read an article sent to GAC Philsophy majors by Deane Curtin about world hunger and the increased price of food. The article mentions Senegal. We've been experiencing the effects of this price increase here in Senegal. The increased price of rice and gas has been all over the news. People all over Senegal are really upset at President Wade for a variety of reasons, but this one I think has pushed many over the edge. The villagers at Keur Sadaro were especially angry at him (Wade=baaxul!). Apparently he had promised upon election that he would not increase food prices as much as he has. The current excuse for the price increase of rice is the price increase in gas. People aren't buying it, though. I don't blame them. It seems like a somewhat sketchy connection to me. Anyway, it's interesting to see a U.S. article mentioning a situation here that I've come in contact with. It's pretty cool to have experience to back up my understanding of the article and make it very real.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I loved this post and this blog.
Thank you and have a nice day.
I have been reading about food politics and they constantly mention Brazil. Also, Sao Paulo is in the midst of a serious Dengue epidemic with hospitals filled beyond capacity. I am not there, though, for which I am thankful. It is strange to pick up and read something about slash and burn agriculture while planning to look at alternatives to slash and burn agriculture for a month.
yours,
c
Post a Comment