
My friends Eric and Marc and I moved into our apartment in Ngor on Friday. We joke that it's like the inverse of the quality 70's sitcom Three's Company. It's incredible. I love it. The apartment itself is beautiful. It's furnished, has a kitchen, the dining room is a terrace, and there's even art on the walls! The neighborhood is great too. We're in what people call the village part of Ngor, not to be confused with the ultra touristy toubab part of Ngor. There's always people in the "streets" (narrow sand ones), there's a mosque a stone's throw away so we hear the call to prayer (starting at 5am, but for some reason I still find it lovely when it wakes me up) and the Mourides (an Islamic brotherhood, or sect) singing and drumming (they like to do that all night long sometimes). There are little sandwich and fruit and vegetable stands everywhere. There are always people to meet and greet. I've already befriended a little girl named Ndeye Gueye who ran up and hugged me while I was waiting for the most delicious chicken sandwich I've ever eaten. It's going to be hard to leave her in this country. I might just have to take her home with me.
I have a meeting today which will hopefully result in my obtaining an advisor for my project and a plan to set in motion for research. I'm getting excited to go out and learn about stuff that I care about. With both the apartment and the project it's really nice to have some independence.
My Photos Part 6 officially on the links list.
No comments:
Post a Comment