Monday, March 24, 2008

I should be writing an ISP proposal right now...

Happy Easter Monday everyone! Apparently it's a big enough deal that even in a country where 95% of the population is Muslim nobody works or goes to school...except us. Weird. Mostly the Senegalese look for excuses to celebrate I think, because even my totally Muslim family ate ngalaax--a traditional dish served just before Easter that is like yogurty peanut buttery goop with millet couscous in it (sounds gross but is sweet and tasty!).

FYI: Today is the official half-way point. 7.5 weeks until I come home! In that time I have to do another village stay, do some small group projects and random homework assignments, say goodbye to my host family; and propose, research, and write a huge paper. No problem...or something.

This last week involved mostly homework and stressing about my indecision regarding my ISP topic.

Saturday those of us that sculpted at Columbin the previous weekend went back to paint our work. We also ate lunch there, which was pleasant. I now have a horse and a purple elephant that I'm pretty proud of, and will carry on my lap on the plane home if I have to. I love Columbin too much not to go back a lot between now and May even just to say hi and buy some more fragile art to try to get back across the ocean.

Easter Sunday most of us went to Keur Moussa (about an hour from Dakar), which is a village with a Benedictine monastery where we attended mass. It's a beautiful place, but what was most striking was the music. They use traditional African instruments (kora, djembe, calabasses, and balaphone) for all the music and it was beautiful. They also make goat cheese and jam and cakes that they sell. Maybe, just maybe, I bought some jam to smuggle back to the U.S. ... don't tell customs.

We leave on Thursday for our second village stay and then we go on to St. Louis, the old capital, which should be a really chill and educational but fun trip. We're going to be speaking mostly Wolof in this village (Ker Sadaro), so our teachers have significantly picked up the pace in class. It's kind of intense, but now I can make people laugh by saying more than just greetings.

PS--Part 4 Photos now up.

No comments: